02 February 2012

Numbers

Around the time when Dexter was reaching his 100 days old, I started a list of numbers.  It started out as something to do, to fill in my time and make me think back and reflect on where we had been.
I didn’t reach 100, but I did get a pretty decent amount.  I’ll try and keep adding to it, just to see if I can reach 100. 
I find that I don’t really count in days or weeks anymore.  Those little things that were so important to me during our hospital time aren’t so important now.  And that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I just have different priorities now.
I’d like to show this list to certain people, so that maybe then they would have an understanding of some of the things we have gone through.  But I doubt it would make any difference. 
 
1 – Determined, stubborn little man
2- Blood transfusions
3 – Hospitals
4 – Weeks old when the head ultrasound showed the PVL
5- Days old before having the first 1ml of milk
6 – Days spent at Westmead
7 – First ever bed number
8 – Days old before first cuddles with mum
9 – Weeks early!
10 – Days on the respirator
11 – Days old before the first skin to skin contact
12 – Days old before being transferred to the HDU for the first time
13- Birth date
14 – Days on low flow oxygen prongs
15 – Weeks on caffeine!
16 –
17 – Number of EEG probes stuck on his head
18 – Centimetres length of legs when born
19 – Days old and transferred back to the ICU
20- Centimetres length of arms when born
21-
22 – Days before first cuddle with dad
23 – Days old and peed on mum for the first time
24-28 –
29 - Centimetres circumference of head when born
30 – Days old when we were told of the PVL
31-32-
33- Days in a crib
34-
35 – Days at Wollongong
36-37 –
38 – Corrected age when we slept in the same room for the first time
39 – Days on CPAP
40 – 42 –
43- Days in ICU and HDU
44 - Centimetres length when born
45-46-
47- Days old and transferred to Westmead
48- Days old and first enema!
49 – Days old and blew the first raspberry
50 – Days old and pooped on dad
51 –
52- Days old and first bath
53 –
54 – Days in an isolette
55 – Days old before officially hatched
56 – 61 –
62 – Days old on due date
63 -77 –
78- Kilometres from RPA to Wollongong
79 – 80 –
81- Days spent at RPA
82- 85-
86 – Days old and first unofficial cuddles with aunties Carol and Terese
87 – Days to get to Wollongong
88 – Days old before meeting Uncle Rik and Great Grandma Gwen
89 – 94-
95 – Days to full sucking feeds
96 – 99-
100 – Days old and meeting cousins for the first time!

1 comment:

The Hairy Cow said...

Millions - the number of kisses he's received since he came home. x