When I moved here six years ago, I had just gotten back from
a seven month trip overseas, anonymity had become my friend. I moved to an area where I only knew my
sisters and brother in law. I’d been in
Sydney before that and my friends remained there. I'm originally from a small town and I worked
in the local supermarket and so I knew pretty much everyone. So although at times living on my own was
lonely, I enjoyed that I could walk around and not know people.
How times have changed!
I don’t feel that I'm anonymous anywhere now, but people don’t
necessarily know me as me, they know me as ‘Dexter’s mum’. My little man has caused such a stir in his
short life, that everyone knows him or knows about him from someone else. It’s rather odd.
Our weekly trips to the local hospital for bloods and
dressing changes see all the nursing staff greeting us with such
familiarity. And although in this
situation, it’s comforting, it’s also kind of wrong! When I call up to book him in, I just have to
say my first name and they know who we are and what we need. I walk into the children’s ward and get
greeted with smiles and questions of how everything is going.
I know the nurses are just doing their job, and this shows
how good they are at it; I just sometimes wish that we weren’t the family who
got straight in without waiting.
I like to be able to hide away and walk down the street and
not be looked at. I like keeping to
myself, I always have.
Despite being at RPA for three months, I have kept in touch
with only one other mum from that time.
And while I'm curious to know the progress of the other babies who were
long stayers like us, I can appreciate that their mums wanted to keep their anonymity
too. For me, that time was not a time
for making friendships. It was a time
for bonding with my son and hoping every day that he would make it through. I was happy to chat with the nurses, but I
just didn’t feel comfortable associating with the other parents – I liked being
in my own bubble.
And now we are going through the same thing at
Randwick. We have been going backwards
and forwards to the Children’s hospital for almost five months. Faces and families are familiar. You can’t help but learn of the other stories
and heartaches – the room has four beds in it, all separated by a thin curtain,
so there is no such thing as privacy while you are there. But just because we are all going through the
experience of having a child with cancer, doesn’t mean I want to talk and become
friends.
I'm nice to the other parents and will speak when I'm approached,
but I do find that I am mostly ignored by the others, which I am happy with. My husband on the other hand gets accosted by
every parent (mostly mums) whenever he walks in and by the end of the stay
knows their names, their child’s name, where they are from, what they do for a
living and what kind of cancer they are dealing with!
And I'm grateful for him for doing that, for taking the time
to make the others feel special by engaging them in conversation, for taking
their minds of their situation for five minutes. It’s just not for me!
At the moment we are that family that people look at and
talk about. We are the family that
people feel sorry for and get emotional about when they hear our story. I just hope that one day; we might be able to
go back to being anonymous. For now
though, I hope people don’t take me withdrawing as a form of snobbery – I just
every now and then, need time to be me, just me.

2 comments:
dark glasses and an oversized cap - worn low... (and, maybe leave your little man at home)
Lenice! As much as you don't want to hear this my heart bleads for you! I just can't get over how much your family have had to bear. I'm currently on nights, I've just read the beautiful book you finished on Dexter and I'm in tears. I'm so happy that you finally got him home, you're a great story teller. But the news in your letter of his Hepatoblastoma has knocked us for six here. We're utterly devastated for you. I hope to God surgery comes quick For the wee man and you can get your life back to 'normal'. Massive congratulations for your bump. I hope it goes well. Massive hugs and kisses to you and Dexter.. Always my favourite long lashed boy. Nurse Roz, RPA xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment